Math is an essential skill for students to learn: it’s a necessity for technology and science, not to mention everyday life. With a degree in math education, you’ll share important lessons in math that will enable students to better understand this important subject and apply mathematics in their education, careers, and beyond.
The Benefits of Earning a Master’s Degree in Math Education
A master’s degree in math education will allow you to develop specialized skills in math teaching. You’ll be prepared for a career as a math teacher at all levels, from early childhood education to college. And with an advanced degree, you can expect to reach a higher pay bracket, and potentially even take on roles in school leadership, administration, or instructional design.
What’s Covered in a Master’s in Math Education Degree
Master’s degrees in math education are designed to develop your understanding of math education, covering pedagogy and teaching math, as well as graduate-level math courses. Your degree program may also include a fieldwork or research component. Courses frequently featured in master’s in math education programs include:
- Mathematics Education
- Foundations of Research
- Instruction and Curriculum
- Number Systems and Number Theory
- Teaching Mathematics Through Problem Solving
Where You Can Earn an Online Master’s Degree in Math Education
Master’s degree programs in math education are increasingly offered online, especially by large state schools. Your options for online programs in math education include:
- The University of Nebraska-Kearney’s online master of science in science/math education is targeted toward both new and veteran teachers working in grades 7-12. In addition to core courses, the program requires earning 12 credits in an area of specialization.
- Georgia State University’s College of Education offers an online master of education in mathematics education with the theme of “Educator as Reflective Professional.” Coursework covers both the history and applications of mathematics and students must complete a portfolio in order to graduate.
What You Can Do with an Online Master’s Degree in Math Education
First and foremost, an accredited online master’s degree in math education is likely to make you a much better teacher. You’ll be more informed in instruction and curriculum, have a graduate level understanding of mathematics, and better understand research and teaching methods. But beyond instruction, you may find opportunities including:
- department chair
- math coach
- teacher leader
- mathematics specialist
- applied mathematics specialist
Careers with a math degree are typically steady with good pay. As a math teacher at the high school level, for example, you’ll earn about $55,050 per year in a position that offers stable growth. Specialize in an area such as mathematical science, and your earnings can be even better: typically $65,930 per year.
Start Your Online Master’s Degree in Math Education
Ready to shape young minds with math? Find an online program in math education to get started.