Interested in teaching vocational business programs at a postgraduate level? Involved in training and developing employees in business or government? A master of arts in business education may be your ticket to developing the business potential in others and strengthening tomorrow’s workforce — not to mention higher pay and wider opportunities.
Why a Master’s Degree in Business Education is Essential to Your Career
Teaching business for today’s ever-evolving corporate environment requires highly specialized knowledge, and a master’s degree in business education can help you develop the credentials you’ll need to become a qualified business educator. With this degree, you’ll be qualified to teach business in higher education, corporate training centers, and other educational settings.
Master’s in Business Education Degree Curriculum
Master’s degree programs in business education are designed to help you integrate and apply the latest educational theories. These programs often engage students in research in instructional design and delivery, curriculum development, workplace learning and educational technologies. Curriculum for a master’s in business education typically includes:
- Business Information Systems
- Instructional Strategies
- Educational Technology
- Classroom Management
- Educational Research
- Education for Special Populations
In addition to coursework, many master’s degrees require a thesis and/or portfolio project.
Schools Offering an Online Master’s Degree in Business Education
Because technology plays such a huge role in the corporate world, online degrees in business education are becoming a higher priority in university circles. A number of universities offer a master of arts in business education, including:
- An online master of arts in business education from Ball State University is designed especially for middle school, high school, and post-secondary teachers. This program offers a number of specialized tracks that allow students to tailor their educational experience to their career goals, such as adult education, research and special education.
- An online master of arts in education (MAEd) with a focus in business education from East Carolina University, one of the schools that comprises the University of North Carolina, prepares students to integrate and apply knowledge in business, marketing, technology and educational pedagogy. Graduates are eligible for advanced teaching licensure in North Carolina.
- The online master of science in business education program from Robert Morris University is designed for those teaching business in public, private and corporate institutions, but it also caters to those seeking initial or secondary teaching certification.
Career Opportunities for Business Teachers with an Online Master’s Degree
Educators holding a master’s degree specializing in business education are highly sought after throughout the public and private sectors. Business teachers often work as:
- community college instructors
- senior learning specialists
- IT training managers
- corporate sales trainers
- curriculum developers
- workplace consultants
Business teachers often earn an above average salary for educators, with a median annual wage of $75,120. For those that work in higher education, that figure is often higher, with a mean annual wage of $95,650.
The career outlook for school based business educators is moderately positive. A 2010 report on teacher supply and demand from the American Association for Employment in Education shows that employment for business teachers is holding steady.
Start Your Career in Business Education
Prepare for your career as a business educator with a respected online master’s degree in business education. Search our online program database to find the right school for your needs.